Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Tongue

I was reading the book of James today and came across Chapter 3 where he was teaching about the tongue and so I thought I'd share some of it with you, seeing as I needed something to post about anyway and that this would be something worth reading.



He begins (in Vs.1) by saying that teachers should be aware of what they teach because they will be judged with greater strictness than others. Why? Because trusting students will listen and if taught something which is contrary to Scripture will make wrong descisions, therefore the teacher is held accountable. Although this is a serious judgement it keeps teachers aware of what they say. Why do you think the Pharisees and Saddusees came against Jesus so harshly? Because He was teaching the Truth and it clearly showed that all of their teachings were false. James then goes on (in Vs.2) to say that if we take control over our tongues then we will be able to bridle our whole body just as "...we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well"(Vs.3). Then in Vs.4 he tells us about the ships and how they are guided by such a small rudder whereby the pilot can easily direct the entire ship. (Vs.5) "so also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things". And he goes on all the way up to Vs.12 on how the tongue is a fire and a world of unrighteousness and that it cannot be tamed by mankind and how the same mouth which blesses our Lord curses our neighbor who is made in the image of God and that this should not be so. Only blessings should come out of our mouths for that is why God gave us tongues, is it not? We must begin to think about what we are going to say and if it is worth saying at all.



Since we were talking about tongue's I just thought I'd put a few tongue twisters in too!



1. If you understand, say "understand". If you don't understand, say "don't understand". But if you understand and say "don't understand". How do I understand that you understand? Understand!



2. I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, then I won't wish the wish you wish to wish.



3. Sounding by sound is a sound method of sounding sounds.



4. I thought a thought. But the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I thought. If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.



Goodbye for now and God Bless! -David

4 comments:

Destiny said...

David this post is aweome!!! You are such a smart bro:)
-Destiny/your best sis:)

T blog said...

thanks for the add. wait you didn't add me.

Kaila Anderson said...

That's really good :)

Joshua West said...

That is so good, thanks for sharing!