Monday, February 25, 2008

George Washington's 22nd Rule of Civility

22nd: "SHOW not yourself glad at the misfortune of another, though he were your enemy."

When we mess-up or make a mistake, we are glad when someone is kind and does not say something rude like, "I told you so!" or "You'll never amount to anything!" We should treat others in the same way. If we are glad inside that someone was punished than we're not much better than that person if you think about it. If we gossip or spread rumors than we are being cowards who cannot face that person. We, instead, would rather make up things and gossip which is NOT what a Christian should do. As Christians, we should love our enemies as Christ loved us even though we did not deserve it.

Sometimes I am glad when one of my siblings gets punished but now I feel differently. I am sorry for them because I would want mercy rather than justice as would we all.

No comments: