Monday, March 9, 2009

Death Comes Unexpectedly

Recently I've been thinking about death. I know, it seems weird. With the loss of my little brother, Christian, I've thought a lot about it. Death comes unexpectedly. Only God knows when people will die and how long they have to live. But it is our duty to glorify God in our daily lives. "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

My uncle Kenny often says, "10 out of 10 people die" and, although it's somewhat comical, it's also very true. We'll all die. We were born into sin and because of sin there is death. That is the consequences. Death. We shouldn't be surprised when death comes. God said it would. But this life is not all that we have. Peter speaks of a living hope in 1 Peter. We have a living hope. My uncle Kenny has been preaching expository sermons and has been going through 1 Peter. Every week I am learning so much more about 1 Peter. If you feel God has treated you unfairly, possibly with suffering, read 1 Peter. Peter is writing to the early church which was undergoing persecution. He encourages them to look forward to a living hope.

And as we learn in Scripture, life is but a vapor. It comes quickly and goes quickly. Life is precious. Let us not take it for granted.

And even when death does come, we should thank God for His blessings, and praise Him for all the life around us. I'm not saying don't mourn. We should grieve for those who die. But we must also remember to thank God for life.

No comments: